- Describe two examples of challenges to authority by workers at Newman Brothers.
- Explain how the Alliance benefited factory workers, and at what price.
- How significant was strike action for Newman Brothers’ business?
- ‘Throughout its 100 year history, loyalty has rarely existed at Newman Brothers’. How far do you agree with this statement?
Study Source C
International Trade and WWII
Death of the Trade
- Describe three factors which contributed to the closure of the Newman Brothers factory.
- How different are the interpretations of Miss Green and Dr Litten regarding why the business declined?
- How significant was the Cremation Act of 1902 for the funeral trade?
- ‘Reputation over modernisation signalled the end of an era for Newman Brothers’. How far do you agree with this statement?
Women in the Workforce
- Which of these sources is more useful for an historian exploring the proportion of women working at Newman Brothers in the early 20th Century?
- Describe two types of job that young girls were recruited to do in the factory during the war years.
- Explain why vacancy adverts often indicated the age of the girls they wanted to hire? Why would a younger female workforce be good for business?
- How significant was The Military Service Act ruling in January 1916 and how did this affect recruitment strategies at the factory?
- ‘Gender equality in the workplace did not exist in the early 20th Century’. How far do you agree with this statement using the sources and your knowledge to explain your answer.
How Reliable are Personal Memories?
‘Personal memories and interpretations of events from the past, provide fascinating insights into social history, but they are not reliable sources of information’. How far do sources A – C convince you that this statement is correct?
Mark Finn. Drop Stamper at Newman Brothers in the 1980s. Filmed c. 2007
Dr Allen. Son of the Arthur Allen, Newman Brothers’ Travelling Salesman during the 1920s and 30s. Filmed c. 2007
Sheila Maher. Seamstress worked in the Shroud Room Recorded 2017.